Warning After Incense Sparks Two House Fires In Cambs

    Fire crews have issued safety advice about incense sticks after they were involved in two separate house fires.

    Crews attended a house fire in Keyston in Huntingdonshire on the morning of April 30, while less than an hour later crews were called to similar fire in Soham.

    A fire service spokesman said: “These fires were both started by incense sticks that had been left unattended. Lighting incense is a common and popular way of spreading aromatic scents around the house. However residents often overlook the risk they can pose if left unattended, particularly if close to curtains or by a window. House fires from incense sticks initially ignite when hot ash falls directly on to carpet or flammable surfaces.

    “Incense and candles can be dangerous if left unattended, so always ensure they are placed in a draught-free area, well away from curtains, furniture or other flammable surfaces.

    "Make sure you leave plenty of space around the area and ensure that the surface is flat and stable. Taking the necessary precautions can help protect your family, property and belongings.” 

     

    More from Local News

    Follow Us

    Travel

    • The Fen Causeway - Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

      The Fen Causeway busy but moving between Trumpington Road and Newnham Road.

    • The Fen Causeway - Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

      The Fen Causeway busy but moving between Trumpington Road and Newnham Road.

    • Horningsea Road and Ditton Lane - Fen Ditton, Cambridgeshire

      Horningsea Road and Ditton Lane busy but moving between A14 J34 and Newmarket Road.

    Get The App

    Take Star Radio with you wherever you go and listen to us live. Interact with the studio and call, email, text and Tweet us all directly from within the app.

    • Available on the App Store
    • Available on Google Play

    Listener Club

    Sign up now for the latest updates and exclusive competitions on Star!