More than 45 pubs and venues across the county have signed up to support campaign to crackdown on drink drivers this month.
As part of the campaign the police are promoting the ‘I’m DES’ scheme where participating venues give free draught soft drinks to designated drivers.
The initiative, led by the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Road Safety Partnership (CPRSP), will aim to reduce the number of road traffic collisions caused by drink driving during the festive period.
A total of 46 venues have signed up to the scheme this year – more than triple the number of venues compared to last year.
To participate in the scheme, which runs throughout December, people need to let staff in participating venues know they are the designated driver and ask for an ‘I’m DES’ wristband from a member of staff.
Jon Morris, casualty reduction officer at Cambridgeshire Constabulary, said: “We’re pleased to see so many pubs and venues supporting the ‘I’m DES’ campaign this year.
“Even a small amount of alcohol can affect your driving ability. We advise if you’re drinking, even if you have just one drink, arrange another way of getting home.”
To enforce the campaign, officers across the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Road Policing Unit (RPU) will be conducting additional stop-checks throughout December to combat drink and drug drivers.
Participating venues are:
- Ballare, Cambridge
- Hidden Rooms, Cambridge
- La Raza, Cambridge
- Tabouche, Cambridge
- Revolution, Cambridge
- Lola Lo, Cambridge
- The Anchor, Cambridge
- The Granta, Cambridge
- Fez Club, Cambridge
- Vinyl, Cambridge
- Novi, Cambridge
- Sir Isaac Newton, Cambridge
- The Alexandra Arms, Cambridge
- The Portland Arms, Cambridge
- The Hub Community Centre, Great Cambourne
- Willingham Social Club, Willingham
- The Chequers, Pampisford
- The Fox, Burwell
- The Shed, Lode
- The Beeches Community Centre, Isleham, Ely
- Habis Café Bar and Restaurant, Littleport
- Ely City Golf Club, Ely
- Ye Olde School Bell, Little Downham
- The Bell, Kennett, Newmarket
- The Greystones, Sawtry, Huntingdon
- The Pig N Falcon, St Neots
- The Eltisley, Eltisley, St Neots
- The Axe and Compass, Hemingford Abbots, Huntingdon
- Samuel Pepys pub, Huntingdon
- The Lounge, St Ives
- Cromwells, Huntingdon
- GER Sports Club, March
- The Angel Inn, Wisbech
- The King’s Head, Wisbech
- The Three Tins, Wisbech
- The Red Lion, March
- The Ship Inn, March
- Cassanos, March